Ladies Camera Club

14 Feb 2013

A little print

About 8 months ago, I signed up to do a course on print and surface pattern design.  I have no desire to actually do this for a living, I just wanted to do it because my creative head tells me I must absorb all things of beauty before I die.  I am pushed to the limits with a million things that I need to try.  I conquer them and move on.  Its a little challenge to me to make up for how terribly shit I was at school.  I struggled a million and not only that, I never really fitted in a school.  First of all I was an English girl in a staunchly Welsh part of Wales.  My first day of secondary school was like being thrown into the lions den.  I shall never ever forget it.  Its burned in my memory bank under "that shitty day in school when the whole of Holyhead hated me".   I wasn't in the cool club and yearned to be so badly although towards the 15 and 16 year old mark, I kind of joined a few of them through dancing with Majorettes.  American tan tights and all....yuck.  My only saving grace was how often my friends would give me credit with my drawings and poetry and love of story writing.

I was always told that artists are poor and yet creating things is something I have always done, save for 9 years in the RAF.  Even then I did have a hand in designing posters and artwork on the odd occasion. You could count being a piss artist, for 9 strong years on the lash, as being creative. My mum would not allow me to take Art in my options because it wasn't academic but that hurt as she knew I was far from academic as it was.  So I went to night school when I was 15 to study it with adults.  The still life class bored me to tears.  That wasn't what I envisaged art to be.  So I gave in and never dreamed of what life could have been if I had have continued.

I still don't know to this day what I really want to be.  I  just like doing a number of things.  Chiefly being a photographer is wonderful but I don't take photos everyday.  I don't do graphic design everyday but I do it more than photography.  Again, I have this awful feeling that Im not in any kind of cool club to be taken seriously - perhaps I need to bloody squish this hurdle immediately.  Then I still have a hand in the craft industry both designing and teaching and demonstrating - because I just love it so.  I do manage to combine the whole damn lot - the variety is good for my creative head but I still feel I need to find me niche.  Self belief is one thing but actually standing on an orange box stating to the world that I "JUST" want to be a photographer would only mean some smirking meany might take the delight in kicking me off said box.

There is a rule in certain aspects of my creative work that states that you should stick to one style or genre but seriously, can anyone afford that crap?  I can't.  I work where the next deadline is but one day I want to be a photographer full time working on editorials and commercial shoots.  I think if I ever did one dream shoot that paid the big bucks, I know that then I'd want something more.  Not in terms of financial gain but more in the challenge.  Maybe fashion design again......Well, that's the plan and all good plans etc blah blah blah..............

Anyway, I'm sharing my thoughts with you.  My mind spillage really does help alleviate all the pent up frustrations.  For a short while, anyway.

So........The card I made yesterday (inspired by Orla Kiely)?  I put my print and surface pattern lessons into good use and have this little (well, big A4 sized) sheet for you (click on my freebies link at the top of the page) to grab it.  Now needing this fabric even though it isn't fabric but could be one day, if I put my mind to it (what the hell is wrong with me??!!!)


I know its not everyone cup of rosy lee but if you love patterns and colours and pretties.....I'm sure you can make use for it.  Cover a mini jotter pad or make a card or print it and stick it to your t-shirt and be all awesome for a day.

Photobucket    Photobucket  Photobucket    Photobucket  Photobucket  Photobucket  Photobucket
photography studio hire wigan,  newborn photographer wigan, newborn photography, model photography, portfolio photographer wigan, photographer lancashire,
urban photographer, wigan camera club,
ladies camera club, dslr training, photography training, makeover photography, north west photographer, model portfolios, head shots, wigan, photographer, photographer wigan, photographer in wigan,  boudoir photography, make over photography, wigan wedding, wedding photographer wigan, family photographer wigan, model headshots, model portfolio wigan

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

You love what you do.... why do you need to do one thing? You already know what you want to be when you grow up - an artist; that's because you are grown up and doing it. It's very rare that I come over to your blog and think "I'm not sure about that one" I love almost everything you do. I'm very jealous that you are doing what you love.
And that pattern so HAS to be fabric.... please? I'm about to get a "spare" room and I want that fabric in there. :-)
Jude.x

Carole Z said...

Hi Kirsty, thank you for sharing this with us...it's gorgeous! I see some parallels between us -my dad was a sign writer and artist and so encouraging, but I was (apparently!) academic and had the option of art taken from me at school for exams (which I think pleased my Mum at the time)..I have taken courses in art, jewellery, photography and as a mature student studied film at Uni, then wrote film reviews for a few years...I even have a draft novel gathering dust somewhere in the house!.I love craft and that is the one thing I do know..otherwise, I am still on a journey :) Hugs, Carole Z X

Julia said...

Wow! That is gorgeous! I think you should design a line of scrapbook papers with talent like that!

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for the freebe. I love patterns and colours but still havn't found my creative bent. your posts ring such a bell with me. Thanks again

Jaki Morris said...

That is lovely and it SO needs to be made into a fabric so that I can make you a cushion!

Go on girl, get on with it.

Why is it our parents think they know what is best for us?
Hope I don't do it to my boys!

Take care
Jakix

Marie said...

I would totally buy that as a fabric, just so's you know ;)

lv M

DeckleDeb said...

Thank you for the freebie, it's a gorgeous pattern and the colours are fab, would definately buy it as a scrapbook range.

Shirley Davis said...

Your Patti Picklicious designs already live on my pc and I use them whenever I can. I am currently making a CK-esque bag card for a client and your Groovacious Daisy Teal was chosen for the design! So already you've left your mark on our craft world, Kirsty. This new print is just as gorgeous as the Daisies!

Anonymous said...

as an illustrator I would say you can use your other experiences in your profession. so if you are a professional photogrpher strick with it and be the bext you can. dont be drawn to being silly with it and making every shot the same with flowers or gates or some odd props. Natural is best and will last the longest...hype in any true crafting proessional has a habot of falling very flat as we have seen with some of these so called card making "experts" who cant cut a straight line with a cutter never mind craft in the true sense of the word! be a professional and find your true identity. It is only then you will succeed and calm down into a real pattern of design and expetise. dabbling is treating it all as a joke!

Lynda said...


I LOVE IT, THANK YOU!!

sarah said...

Hi Kirsty, you are in my cool club!! (not that I'm cool) I think because you are so creative to narrow your boundaries would not work as you like to try your hand at various things! I am trying to escape from my part time day job, I think you are really lucky in life if you actually get paid for a job that you love, my ideal job would be to work in an estate agents - I love looking at houses, mainly for inspiration, but I know I would enjoy matching people to their dream properties - One day we will be happy with our lot!? keep up the amazing blog, you are a proper crafting Kirtsy Allsopp!!

Jen said...

You DO know about Spoonflower right? Make your own fabric from that pattern!!!

Debo said...

Oh, what it must be like to know what you want to do 'when you grow up!' I'm still waiting for a Eureka moment when suddenly everything falls into place and I see what I am meant to be. I need to be creative, too. Is it just us creative types? How do we decide what is to be our career and which is to be our relaxation? There are so many new things I would like to learn - but should I try and master those I know?

Another one NEEDING your 'fabric'.

Debo said...

Have just had a look a Spoonflower! Wow, Kirsty! You must check it out!!!!!

Glitter Monkey said...

Thanks for the beautiful freebie. I have printed it in "fit to page" and "original size" and it will hopefully make a fabby project. Bah to Anonymous - you are deffo in my cool club babe. Lynn xx

hippysquiggle said...

Hi Kirsty, that pattern has to be fabric its gorgeous thank you for sharing Kim x

hippysquiggle said...

Hi Kirsty, this pattern has to be fabric it is gorgeous thank you for sharing Love Kim x

Jen said...

*blows raspberries at Anonymous* I don't know if you're the same sad person who makes all the anonymous comments, but you really ought to get a life. And if you don't like Kirsty's stuff, why on earth do you come on here and waste your time being horrid? I'll never understand you!

Shirley Davis said...

Thanks everyone - just tried Spoonflower with my design and now want/need wallpaper or fat quarter 'just because'!

You've started a design revolution Kirsty - we always knew 'Innovation' was your middle name. That and 'Hard Work'!

Di said...

Brilliant pattern Kirsty! Harrumph though, is that sad sicko ANON still leaving stoooopid comments. So, little by little we find out more - they say they're an illustrator huh? What for I wonder? Village Hall notices?

You carry on right as you are - dabble away all you like, we love the way you aren't afraid to try different things.

Mind you, if you start designing Village Hall notices I'll get a bit worried about you.

Hugs, Di xx

Judi said...

Fabulous, you really need to get this printed! xx