Ladies Camera Club

30 Dec 2012

Bokeh, the easy way

Some people achieve bokeh by accident and some know how to nail it.  Me?  If it happens, I love it but its not essential.  I love it when it happens on a super sharp aperture (and not always at its lowest depth - which can be F1.2 in some cases).  I prefer the richness of a proper composed image with the correct D of F (namely F5.6 for face, F7.1 for full length) and trust that my 50mm F1.4 lens will still give off a wonderful bokeh as an extra.  No way should you take a picture of a face at F1.4 JUST so you can achieve those rich globules of light.  A head shot at F1.4 would only get 5 pores in focus, let alone the nose, eyes and mouth!

Ive been at Mums enjoying her Christmas decoration - we pulled ours down on the 27th as the clutter was killing me - we had a full house over the festive period.  And a full house in a small house is strangulation of space..... to the extreme.  Anyway, whilst at Mum's I grabbed my camera to have a little play and share you some fun facts about these incredible blobs of light.


So here is Mum's tree.  This was taken at F1.4 with a shutter speed of 1/25, ISO 100.  Only a tiny fraction of the scene is in super sharp focus, the rest melts away to blur.  


This time, I sat back a little and I focused the camera on my hand, right in front of me.  I then moved my hand away and pointed the camera at the tree with EXACTLY the same settings as above.  Now see what happens...............Blobby Bokeh!


I did the same manoeuvre with the nest two images but made the shutter speed faster - to quell some of the orangey glow.  This was at a shutter speed of 1/80


I like how much darker and strange this gets - with a shutter speed of 1/160


I then slowed the shutter speed down to 1/5 to show you how light can affect the blobs in the other direction.  Same tree, same aperture, diff speeds.

Im not sure which one I like the most, really.
Its a fun experiment though.

And lastly, I couldn't resist this gorgeous poinsettia set on Mum's window ledge.  I always kill my poinsettias so its nice to borrow one from Mum and pretend I cultivated this myself. 
 


Wow, that red is incredible although I do think the 50mm lens does bring out the best of most subjects.

Do you want any more camera tricks or can you share some with me?

Love
Kirsty  
photography studio hire wigan,  newborn photographer wigan, newborn photography, model photography, portfolio photographer wigan, photographer lancashire,
urban photographer, wigan camera club,
ladies cameraclub, dslr training, photography training, makeover photography, north west photographer, model portfolios, head shots, wigan, photographer, photographer wigan, photographer in wigan, wigan studio hire, boudoir photography, make over photography, wigan wedding, wedding photographer wigan, family photographer wigan, model headshots, model portfolio wigan
Photobucket    Photobucket  Photobucket    Photobucket  Photobucket  Photobucket  Photobucket

7 comments:

Melanie Marshall said...

Fab Kirsty!! I am only just starting out again after a long hiatus and you inspire me. I'd love more tips - I just love looking at other peoples creations in photograph format. You clever girl, you :)

Anonymous said...

My tree looks amazing. Think I should leave it up. ha ha. Hands off my peel offs. I still love them.

Love having you home. x x x x

Mum

Angela Dawes said...

Great pictures, I wanted to try this out but just never got around to it?! I really need to start again with my neglected camera - although you have inspired me & I have got a few great shots this year. xx

Wishing you all happy & healthy New Year.xx

Becky said...

just tried this-fabby idea! thanks for sharing! I've seen photos where the circles are hearts-do you know how that would be done? Maybe the little lights are heart shape already??

Jaki Morris said...

Thanks so much for this. I love my tree and it will be up til twelfth night so I have plenty of time to try!

Take care
Jakixx

Carole Z said...

Hi Kirsty! Would love more camera tricks on your blog! Gorgeous photos as always...Happy New Year!!! Carole Z xx

Lisa said...

Kirsty, we love all your little tips! Please keep them coming
Lisa x