Ladies Camera Club

16 Mar 2012

My Belles, of the Ball

You know, this prom thing is working out a lot more inexpensive than I first anticipated. I mean, I would have spent a fair amount but its way less than I had planned. One woman in the post office today said that her co-workers daughters dress cost £300. REALLY? For one night? Good grief. Maybe she needs to take up crafting and realise that thrifting and hunting down a bargain is a real lip-smacking challenge.

So? The Dress? Well, here she is - in all her soft frilly tulled layered-ness. This dress would be knee high on a mainstream 16 year old but on Ellie, its just above the ankle. Its bodice shape need tapering and Ive got to add straps.
Ive ordered an underskirt for a tenner (cheaper than making one) and that will help flute it out a little. It needs to be lightweight other wise she wont be able to move. She is so slight that even on a slightly windy day, she loses her balance.

Oh Ellie's just loves this dress and absolutely everyone I have shared the image with thinks its a beauty. In fact, one of my Facebook friends has asked to borrow it for her daughter in December!

Ellie will have to wear a shrug because her arms are excruciatingly thin. As the pink in the dress in ballerina pink, we are thinking a ballerina cross over cardigan will be cool but I'm going to get my mum to crochet a delicate picot edge and I'll painstakingly sew little clear beads to make it a little schmancy. I thinking of finding an unusual broach on Etsy or making one myself with gems, feathers and pearls. Ellie can't visualise this so we have not established that!
For the feet? Well, this will make you romantics baulk! Ellies feet are severely deformed and flat slip-ons are no-no - let alone sky scraping heels. So I just said to Ellie "why not wear some cool converse boots?". Initially we were going to plum for black then grey but no! We found SILVER!!! Im also going to gem them up too.
Ellie has specifically requested NO TIARA. Well, that's cool because a princess doesn't need no crown...she just needs sparkles. She chose some hair gems that you twist into your hair instead. Ive got to make a huge (and I mean HUGE corsage for her "up-do). I'm thinking of doing that in Ballerina pink....at this precise moment, Ellie doesn't really care what colour. She was tinkering with this hairstyle (gotta love Pinterest) but now she is thinking of piling all her hair on top of her head with barrel curls and loose tendrils.

Make-up? Ellie never wears it except for the odd (and I mean ODD) occasion and even that's just a swoosh of gloss on her lips. She just wants a swipe of gloss, pink blusher and silver mica eyeshadow. Simple and fresh, I think

Im making her a necklace in ballerina pink, steel grey and cream pearls on a string - that's all she wants and so she will get it! And then she wants the arm warmers to extend from her cardigan. I fitted her with her arm warmer I made last night....................
But it swamps her arm (ahem, its snug on mine...I get to keep them!). So we are on the look out for slightly lighter grey socks in a children's size so that we can get these babies made and wrapped in tissue for nearer the occasion.

And I think that will be the look complete except for a little wrist purse that I'm going to make in grey for her money and lip gloss. I will prob embellish it to match her broach ensemble.

Now that these things are mostly visual in her head, she can get excited. She keeps coming to our bedroom to admire the dress. The tough bit at the moment is that she is a bit worried that nobody has asked her to go with them/sit with them. I'm sure nearer the time she will be seated with someone she knows plus I don't think Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson) will be able to make it but could you imagine that? I'd fight her for him ...or maybe not, cos I prefer Jacob.

Love
Kirsty x
Click here to subscribe to my newsletter

21 comments:

Ruth said...

I'm so excited for her I could cry! Do you need fancy laces for her Converse? If so maybe I could find some here for her. I would give anything I own if somehow Robert Pattinson could be her date, if only for a little while. Maybe a letter to his fan club. I'll have to check on that one. She's already beautiful, but I can't wait to see the transformation when it all comes together. Wish I could be there to help....and to see if for myself.

Anonymous said...

hope it all works out well and not only the wonderful clothes but her friends will make it a great time. I thought the trend nowadays is for them to all go together in a limo etc so she will have to sort that out with her mates and pals arund the school soon to get it booked etc! Another huge cost though! well done on the creative work for her special day. I am sure the others will have something to say about it all because non standard anything draws attention from your peers nomatter what age you are! Lots of photos on their phones and so on I am sure for the parts Mum and Dad can see! Her facebook and other sites will be full of giggles and msgs soon!

Paper Paradise said...

Awwwww Kirsty, You put your hand to so many crafty endeavours! I just can't wait to see everything you are making come together on what is sure to be a special night for your beautiful Princess! xxx

Carole Z said...

Kirsty she is going to be belle of the ball...and I so love the Converse, being a big fan of this iconic boots and owning too many pairs...way too many! Carole Z xx

Pol said...

My teenage daughter has just looked over my shoulder at the dress and accessories and approves mightily! She wondered if Belle might want to use some lace ribbon to lace up the converse?

Anonymous said...

Seems you have all your readers excited now, I dread to think what Belle is like!:-D It was always going to be difficult to improve on the beauty of your little lady, but I think you are going to do it; she is going to look gorgeous. And nothing wrong with Converse with a Prom dress. I can't wait to see photos of her in her finery. Jude.x

Adena said...

Can't wait to see the finished items and the photos of Belle. She is so beautiful without all the finery so I am sure she will look radiant on the night.

Judi said...

Oooh everything is coming together beautifully - you clever girl! She will look gorgeous and, like everyone else, I can't wait to see her in the whole ensemble - will we get a sneak preview when she tries everything on? Or will we just have to be patient? Pol's daughter's suggestion of lace ribbon to tie the converse sounds fab too, wonder what Ellie will think of that. I bet you both keep looking and ooohing and aaahing over it all, I know I would be, it's so exciting xx

Anonymous said...

OMG!! I can't even begin to contemplate how beautiful she is going to look!! She's so totally beautiful to begin with I think there's going to be a lot of watery eyes when the day comes. I'm already filling up thinking about it!! I think that might be the most beautiful dress I have ever seen!! So, SO perfect for her!! Silver Converse - so the way to go - even if she could wear strappies!! You are too, too fabulous!!

Love Nina B

Sue said...

Wow! Belles will look stunning. Hope she has a fantastic time.

Alison Horne said...

Ellie will look absolutely stunning, clad in your love. No 300 quid dress could give her that.xx

Colette said...

What a stunning dress, so delicate and pretty. Ellie will look gorgeous in it I am sure,

p.s. Anonymous: If you can't say anything nice, say nothing at all!

Colette x.

Redanne said...

She will look even more gorgeous than she does already. Still remember my prom from over 40 years ago (eek) and loved all my pink froth too.

Kirsti said...

Wow that dress is absolutely Gorgeous with a capital G...love it...She will look beautiful and I love the converse trainers....I nearly went with trainers for my wedding day but changed my mind at the last minute!!!

Kirsti xxx

becslb said...

Belle will look amazing! I can't wait to see a photo of her all dressed up!

Kirsty Wiseman said...

Anonymous quoted
"I am sure the others will have something to say about it all because non standard anything draws attention from your peers nomatter what age you are!"
She is special needs in an electric wheelchair at school, she sticks out anyway. She is making sure she sticks out more. She is completely aware that this prom outfit will go against the grain. She is tough enough for any scathing "mean girl" repercussions.

Detour said...

So beautiful! her dress is So lovely. Its so nice to her of a young girl wanting to look pretty and not showing everything!

Fiona said...

Lucky Belles, that dress is perfection and she will look amazing in it. She has such pretty hair it will look beautiful whichever style she chooses. Converse boots with lace laces sounds coolio what does Belles think?
x
PS the buttons arrived today, THANK YOU XXX

Bettyann said...

She is going to be so beautiful..can hardly wait for the pictures...take care and have a great weekend..

Annie said...

the dress is absolutley beautiful, and it will be very Twilight! Looking forward to the pics! Oh I hope she has a brilliant time! Nobody asked me to prom, I just went with a male friend. Lots of my friends went on their own. I am sure she will look stunning.

Carole said...

Oh I luuuuuurv her dress ! I'm having all your problems but for a boy ! Damn it, he wants a red suit !

As for the 'date' ... I'm reliably informed that its 'not the thing now' ... the boys are going with the boys !!

Oh, and mine wants to do a parachute jump into the venue ... ho hum ..