Ladies Camera Club

10 Mar 2012

Evolving

The way my work goes, you take what you can and what you don't get, you go and seek new opportunities. Crafting is full of peaks and dips, trends and gaps, ying and yang. I love it and then I hate it, I get lots of work then I get none. I go on the road and I stay at home. I admit that blogging plays a huge factor in the work that comes my way. I encourage you to do this but you cannot totally rely on it to "get rich-quick". It's a great way to expose your skills and your personality without paying the big bucks for ads in mags where ads get so little "reading-eye". Plus the best thing is, is that if people want to read it, they will and if they don't, they won't (duh!). Its not like you are shoving it in peoples faces and driving them crazy with it.

So, anyway - the point of this lead up? Well, sometime last year I was approached by an amazing PR company; Edelman. They invited me to a workshop in London and I had a really great time. It was the same day I was accepted to work at QVC. It was quite a surreal time, to be honest because you just don't plan this kind of work; it just happens. I built up a good relationship with Edelman whose next project they gave me was to present a video for the Disney YouTube channel. That was just crazy and so unexpected. The company also has an affiliation with Snapfish. They introduced my work to them and Snapfish gave me this great opportunity to make an Album about my working career. It was a labour of love and one I didn't feel comfortable about, at first. Mainly because I have this MAJOR niggling guilt about believing in myself. But I did the book and it was presented to Snapfish. They really liked it.

Here is a sneak peak of it. It kind of acts like a portfolio/business card/CV since 2001 (when I started crafting). A great idea and I thoroughly recommend it. I also recommend making your own children's story books. Click here to see how.

I then got invited to Afternoon Tea in February, in London, to meet with them. Well it was actually Nicola who came, one of the team leaders of Snapfish. I also met with Edelman, with Luke but not with Natalie, this time, as she was on Hols; Natalie I cannot fail to mention.....I call her the pocket rocket, sometimes "Natty Nuggety Noo Noo". It was a very posh hotel with the most gorgeous look about it. I did feel like I was dreaming a little. We discussed how I could fit in at Snapfish.

** If you don't know, Snapfish are an International online photo printing company, with over 90 million customers. The customer base just grows and grows and grows. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that?**

Nicki suggested I become a frequent blogger with them (**inserts loud scream here - you know me and blogging, right?**) and in the same breath she proposed a commission to design some Jubilee celebration cards. I tried not to smack my jaw on the table and upset the beautiful china. I vexed with all my might as not to come across as so freaking desperate by saying "yes, yes, yes" immediately. I kind of processed it all in slow motion and said "I'd have a good think about it" knowing all along that it was right up my alley. Yeeeep! And all the while my heart was twisting and beating so hard, I thought it would burst through my chest.

Snapfish, along with online photo printing, create photo gifts in the form of mugs, cards, canvas prints, calenders, books, posters etc. The part I was given was to create cards/notelets/invites for the upcoming Jubilee celebrations. There is also an opportunity to create photo cards, too. I have to say, before I even met with Snapfish, I had used them for online photo printing, especially when they have the "penny a print" offer. I encourage you to check them out!

Aaaaanyway, Ive been designing the cards for a little while, trying to perfect their every pixel and finally submitted them 2 weeks ago for approval. And then, as if two weeks never even passed my notice, I got the full approval to publish them yesterday. And here they are


and this is the funky little badge I get to use on my blog/website/paraphernalia. Click on it, it takes you to my growing store!:

This added string to my crafting bow is such a thrill. It really is and whilst sometimes I am loathe to gush and pour out these amazing feelings and facts, sometimes you just have to let it all out.

PS: If you click this link here, you can get 30% off all print sizes until 11th March using this code: 30PRINTS12

Fear not, my lovers for I have not even broken away from the world of paper crafting and just to prove it, here is a little something I made whilst "tra la la la laaaaaaaa-ing" through my very happy day.




Psssssst! Did you hear that Stephanie Weightman is coming to QVC (back home, where she belongs)? I screamed down the phone when the team at QVC rang me to tell us the news. A very classy lady and very in touch with crafting from all levels. I'm really looking forward to working with her.

Love
Kirsty x
Click here to subscribe to my newsletter

29 comments:

Paper Paradise said...

Exciting times for you Kirsty. No wonder you are awake till silly o'clock, your head must be buzzing. All worth it though eh? x

Tracey said...

Well done Kirsty - you deserve it! I hope to fOllow in your footsteps!
Tracey x
www.papercraftjunkies.com

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news for you, Kirsty - and for us too! You have worked really hard and deserve it all. Well done. Congratulations, WooHoo........ :-D Jude.x

Sue said...

WOW!!! Fab designs for Snapfish and I really love your card.

Hope your career continues to go from strength to strength.

Bernice said...

Congratulations

♥ Lydia ♥ said...

Many 'much deserved' congratulations hun xx Exciting times now and ahead for you :)
The cards are all just brilliant!!x

Helen said...

Congratulations Kirsty, love your designs. I like the title of your post, I like to think my crafting is evolving now I've discovered the wonderful world of blogging...keep up the good work xx

Judi said...

Lovely story, well done Kirsty, so pleased for you and glad all that hard work is paying off xx

karen said...

Wow kirsty, you dont do it by halves, im so pleased all your hard work has paid off, im going on a little journey of my own right now, not on a big scale like you(yet lol)and like you cant believe what the world of blogging can bring your way, keep up the good work. x
Karen x

Julia said...

I am so over the moon for you Kirsty. I have never met you but feel I know you through your blog etc. You work so hard and are not afraid to go out and look for work and outlets for your amazing talent. Good luck lovely lady you deserve it!!

sparklygirl-Tina said...

Kirsty, Kirsty, Kirsty

Wowweeeeeeeeeeeeeee. You are so deserving of this new partnership -you are one talented gal. V.V happy for you........ How are you going to celebrate this..... something nice I hope....

Big Hugs

Tina
XXXX

Lizzie said...

Kirsty I am soooooo pleased for you! No-one could deserve this more - you work so hard and your work is fabulous (I am so a long-term Kirsty Fan!).
I love the cards you designed - they're modern and funky, but still patriotic. You were just the right person for Snapfish to ask!
Congratulations and I hope many more wonderful opportunities come your way!

Redanne said...

Many congratulations Kirsty, very well done indeed and richly deserved. I only started my blog 3 weeks ago and can only dream of reaching your dizzy heights! Keep it up girl. Thanks for the info about Steph - very interesting indeed.

Nina Coulton said...

Well done Kirsty, you fully deserve this. xx

Fiona said...

How wonderful Kirsty, you must be stoked. Brilliant designs for Snapfish, good luck on your collaboration with them.

rach said...

Love the quality of Snapfishm, been using them for ages., will be even better with your designs there.

Anonymous said...

congratulations on getting some work and recognition of some designs. Must be a relief in days when all we hear is cutbacks , closures and no money. would imagine crafting was a luxury most cannot afford anymore or only for the very rich. Sadly I am wrong as heard a young lady in our craft shop today saying she was £1,900 in debt and spent £40 on toppers and ready made embellishments beucase she loved the colours and was going to be telling her landlord she couldnt pay her rent. Sad mentaility hey! never mind that you enjoy your income and celebrate!

twinkletoe said...

Great story, great cards and one great lady!!

lisa said...

Congratulations on your success. They are great designs x

Nikbee said...

Congratulations Kirsty. I love your designs.
Nikki x

Lisa-Jane said...

Fabby cards my dear and I LOVE your soldier one too! Makes me want to have a Jubilee party. Congratulations luvvie, you are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Too, too fabulous!! When/how can we buy the book???
Love Nina B xxx

susiesu said...

Congratulations again lovely lady. Thanks for sharing the background to the story with us. I remember you blogging about your visit to an hotel after being on QVC. All makes sense now. Your designs are fabulous and I love your soldier card. You so deserve the recognition for your crafting/designing skills. lol Susiesu xxx ps I see "anonymous" is back are you not able to delete their comment???

Bettyann said...

Congrats Kirsty..you have worked very hard to get these fab opportunites...fab card...so happy for you...you go girl !!!

Gina said...

Congratulations Kirsty and thanks for the discount code xxx

Amanda said...

That's fantastic news Kirsty, well done! I love your Snapfish designs!!

Jo E said...

Oh wowza Kirsty. Well done you! As always you are welcome to come stay with us again whenever you're down this way. xx

Debo said...

Congratulations!

Your designs are excellent! We already use Snapfish - always with superb results! Great company - no wonder they chose YOU!!

Loving the Soldier card, too!

(And Steph coming to QVC! Wow! There's gonna be a lot of discussion about this on the forums, I'm sure!)

Debo said...

Congratulations!

Your designs are excellent! We already use Snapfish - always with superb results! Great company - no wonder they chose YOU!!

Loving the Soldier card, too!

(And Steph coming to QVC! Wow! There's gonna be a lot of discussion about this on the forums, I'm sure!)