Ladies Camera Club

21 Aug 2011

British tucker

Mmmmmmmm, British food maybe so bland to our foreign visitors (ie - we don't over salt nor over sugar our food!) buuuuut me? Well, I loves a good old salt-free nosh up. The other night I made mini beef wellies. And I was crowned "cooking goddess extraordinaire" for approx 3 seconds by my husband whom rarely compliments my amazingness in fear I will pull the cooking rug from under his feet. I was tres smug with my triumphant presentation and culinary mastery. But I had nobody else in the house who could enjoy my smuggery with so I shall boast most magnificently throughout this blog post with you. I don't even think I shall apologise for my modesty, either.

Kirsty + homemade mini beef wellies = She rocks.

Aside from not making my own puff pastry (and quite frankly, who the hell does?) everthing was cooked to perfection by me. Simply roll out enough (bought) pastry to make a base and a lid. And OK, rolling out bought puff pastry is hardly "Larousse gastronomique" but it sure looks pretty.

Seal a piece of steak both sides in a hot frying pan (and granted, we didn't use best steak - hello, we are northerners....it was almost brisket. Well, not true but it wasn't fillet either). Tip: I never use oil for sealing meat, you might as well just dip it in diesel for the good it will do for you.

Cut the steak in half and lay one piece on a floured piece of puff pastry. Then mince up some mushrooms and finely chop some black pudding and place on top of the steak. Then layer the other half of the steak on top of that. Its a bit bloody tricky as all that minced mushroom is a tad unstable. PS: If you don't like black pudding, just use some pate (as in the traditional way of making beef wellies).

Then drape another piece of puff pastry on top. Now comes the best bit....take a fork and seal the damn thing shut so nothing can escape. Slice away any uneven pastry from all four sides. Then brush with egg to ensure it turns a lush, caramel colour whilst cooking.

Bang it in the over, on a baking tray, for 18 mins on gas mark 5, or in our case gas mark 4 because our oven is knackered.

I served our beef wellies with roasted chopped potatoes and squash which was doused in parika and a tad of chilli. Ive got a bit of a squash fetish right now - love, love, love it.

Doesn't it look damn fine?

Gotta admit, as with all beef dishes, I'm still picking it out of my teeth 3 days later but still - a quick beef welly supper in less than 30 minutes.

Finally, I shall leave you with a pwitty card - if beef wellies are not your thang.

Toodle-oooooooo x

8 comments:

Candace said...

looks lovely, one of my faves to cook. Really quick & easy yet so scrummy

Can't beat good old fashioned British food

Sue said...

Beef Wellies look yummy.

Loving the card.

Sam Jobson said...

Thats looks scrantastic! You are such a domestic goddess, you make it look so easy. Am going to give it a try when the weather cools down!

Fiona said...

Looks scrumtious, (even Jamie O doesn't make his own puff pastry) but no gravy??

Clare H said...

I was wondering what to make for tea, thanks for the suggestion!

Rosie (Freycob) said...

That sounds bloody lush! I may try but will have to leave out both the fungus AND the blood pud! x

Mrs F said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs F said...

Great wellingtons's and l like the fact they are individual so no fighting over portion size! Your photo's brought back memories from my childhood, my Mum had the same rolling pin as you have-she always had it filled with water sitting in the fridge :).
If you are a black pudding fan and haven't already tried Stornoway BP then you really need to give it a whirl. It is amazing, my hubby adores it and can easily polish off a 3lb stick over a weekend!

Love your blog's Kirsty, you write with such interest and feeling. I can't wait for each new day, keep up the great work xxx