Ladies Camera Club

21 Aug 2010

Spiritulaism

Im far from religious.

That's not to say it doesn't exist but its just not my bag. I think that, with religion, you are born into it. If your parents are Jewish then you shall be Jewish. If your parents are Catholic then you shall be Catholic. Personally? I think we should choose religion for ourselves rather than have our parents encourage or force it upon us. There is so much world and choice and freedom beyond the confinements of religion for children to explore, before they are wrapped up something that prevents them from making an informed choice. Although my parents had me christened under Church of England, I only used to go to church because either someone took me or Brownies/Guides told me to. It was never the law and I didn't fear burning in hell if I didnt. I even took confirmation because it was something my friend did. I feel bad that I did it because looking back, I didn't have a scooby doo about its real meaning. I suppose it makes me a hypocrite that I also chose to be married in a church and have Ellie christened. Im so embarrassed about it, if the truth be told :(

I've attended weddings, christening and funerals because of the act itself rather than celebrate the religious part of it. But when I am sat there, on a wooden pew with a bible in my hand, I wonder about the meaning of it all and turn my head to the stained glass, the guy in a frock and wooden crosses. It just doesn't resonate with me. And Ive really tried. Even at my lowest ebb, Ive tried. I want to bore into the heads of those that "follow" and try to see what makes them feel the vibe and why that vibe inst in my head too. Then I go deeper and think that had my parents drummed it into me as a kid, would I be sat here, as an adult, questioning it? I just give up and realise that it's just not for me.

I am very grateful to my parents that they never forced it upon me, though and allowed me to be the free spirit that I obviously am. And yes, it hasn't stopped me "praying" and sat wondering for hours about it but even then, Ive only touched on Christianity because that's what I grew up surrounded with.........and I can't help think "what if I was suppose to be Hindu or Muslim or Mormon? And how do I choose which is the right one for me anyway?" Its crazy. Well, for me it is.

So, at the ripe age of 39, I finally choose spiritualism. Its not about preaching nor is it damnation and hell bound. Its lovely. Its happy and you don't have to go anywhere to celebrate it. You don't have to pray or be bound by its laws. You can pick it up and put it down and nobody would bat an eyelid about the gaps in between. Its calming effect and feelings of enlightenment takes away all the negative thoughts I have from time to time so that must mean it is my chosen faith. The books I have read recently don't tell me what to do either. Books as uplifting as The Power of Now and The Power, including The Secret are not strictly spiritualism but they have melodic tones pointing to spiritualism. And let me tell you, those books make you feel fantastic. I urge you to read them anyway as they don't interfere with religion as a whole. They just provide you with an upsurge of happiness and we all could do with a bit of that, now and then.

And that's my thought about it all. Me, a small cog in a massive wheel of various faiths and religions............believing in something and taking comfort from it.

**sigh**

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you need to believe in something outside yourself? And why does that something need a label?
Books are nice for sharing ideas. They'll always give us lots of those. But they're all telling you the same thing.
If you follow your heart you'll always find happiness. And if you follow your instincts you'll always know how to get there. It really is that simple. Sound rational? It is : )
From a fellow Aquarian with 10 years more life experience : )
With love and hugs.
xxx

Sue said...

I am glad that you have found something that soothes your soul. I chose Buddhism (or did it choose me?). I think that if everyone treated everyone else as they would wish to be treated, the world would be a wonderful place.

Handmade with Love said...

Great thought provoking post! I am not religious either but was brought up going to Girls Brigade and church on Sunday. Some life experiences have made me question the whole God thing so I now believe in myself and live my life accordingly. I am happy, positive and always appreciate the things I have in life, a roof over my head or even the birds singing in the morning. I think whatever brings you comfort in life is a good thing and if spiritualism it what makes sense to you (and alot of it does to me) then embrace it! Hugs Tracey x

Vickie said...

I could have written that post (except I'm 26 and not 39!)
My husband was brought up as a spiritualist and introduced me to it when we met 5 years ago. I didn't know then that I'd end up as a medium myself but I've never felt such peace :o)

greyparrot said...

Interesting, I agree with the first poster; believe in yourself and the rest will follow. That said I have been led to my own path. I am more on the spiritulist side of things, with undertones of Tendai Buddhism and Shintosim as these are at the roots of Reiki. I live for what I personally believe in, not what I feel I should believe in. In my soul I know that it is right to be kind, caring, loving, sharing etc so I live by my own rules!

LadyLiz said...

For me it comes down to what truth is. I encourage you to seek truth, not what makes you feel good or is easy.

Dianne said...

Very thought provoking. I was christened Church of England but I have never been truely religious, though I too was married in church. I have found myself questioning my religion and some times I just feel lost. I'm glad you have found what is right for you, I hope that I will too someday.
Hugs, Dianne.

EWhyley said...

I come form a catholic family, went to a religious school and although I believe in God, heaven etc (mostly because my mum died 14 years ago and i have to believe I will see her again!)... I attend church now and then, mostly with my Garndmother, who is the only one, aside form me who is remotley religious in my family. I have a bible, I pray (now and then) ... but I still don't know what I believe in. I am sometimes envious of those who feel it completley, who know, for whom it is all consuming ...

I believe in Love, I beleieve as ling as you have had love in your life, that you have loved others, then you will be fine. For past 10 years or so, I have been more of a spiritualist, I believe in Angels and spirit guides and the power of positive thinking .... I have attended may mind, body and soul fairs, been to spititualist churches, workshops, read lots and lots of books ... i find them really uplifting and I leave feeling grounded and positive. I think it has helped me be who i am today, happy and positive no mater what the world throws at me!!

x

Ruth said...

You're blog is just stunning...I have sent you a Blog award...details are on my blog xx

Anonymous said...

Be very careful what spiritual things you open the door to. Somethings can seem ok on the surface but are really a deception and can make you more miserable than when you started. God loves you, he knows all about you and nothing you do is a suprise to him. The bible says in 2 Samuel chapter 14 verse 14 'for we will surely die and become like water spilled on the ground which cannot be gathered up again. YET God does not take away life but he devises means so that banished ones are not expelled from Him'. God loves you and he is actively devising ways to reach you. Don't go down the wrong path . . . Why not go to an Apha course or read a book by Nicky Gumbel called 'The meaning of life' - I'm going to send you a copy :).

Anonymous said...

woop-welcome to the faith,baybeeee!
I love the way you can pick it up and put it down as you please, as your life leads you down your own path, with no fear of hell n damnation at the end...religion is such a personal thing-Spiritualism siuts ME right down to the ground!
love to the Curlygirl
Lulubelle x

Anonymous said...

I know you think you have found the right way but God is the way the truth and the life. You can have what another Christian has because Gods gives the gifts and life to each of his children as they turn to Him. Your parents and Godparents stood and took the time to stand in your place and "Believe and Trust in Him" they then all welcomed you into Gods family and that is what happened all those years ago. you do not have to do anything else apart from trust in Him. He will not promise to take things and make it all OK as that is not true. He will walk besides you and help you with everything. Spiritulism is very very likely to lead you into darkness and away from the truth, life and light which is freeely there for you. Why not read and follow Joni Erickson Tada's story and testimony? You will then see your hardship and feelings in a whole new way and can see despite our sufferings our Lord died for us and no matter how much you are trying to run away from God He wont move and is there waiting for you and will love and protect you if you decide you can be bothered to just trust. You only need faith as small as a mustard seed. Praying for your protection as you dabble in darkness and nonsense which will leave you with pain and problems as God does now turn his back on his children ..you are already on eof his children by the words and declarations you and your parents and Godparents made ...He is waiting for you and you are running away..your choice but He will still be there and is still there....turn to Him then tell another Christian [ not in a sect or odd gathering] and follow him because you have already twice given your life to Him and declared your belief and trust.

Carrie said...

Hi Kirsty. Keep it simple trust in God and he will direct your path. Don't be fooled into making your own god to suit you. The devil is a great deceiver and hates all mankind because we are created in God's image. Your spiritual journey might lead to dangers and I'm not over exagerating... not all spirits are good, even satanists/wicker/pagans will tell you that. Think again what you are doing before taking a step too far...

Carrie said...

Hi Kirsty. Forgot to mention, why don't you try downloading a couple of podcasts to listen to - try Joyce Meyers and Joel Osteeen. I'm sure you will enjoy listening to them.

Helena said...

I wonder if one of those books would help my mum- she is low because of her illness..... I might have a look at them.....

Kirsty, I went to Catholic schools but religion wasn't discussed at home. We never went near a church. But I somehow found a faith, a really strong one, and tried to become a nun in my teens first, then another dabble in my early 30s. I was the happy-clappy, speaking in tongues spiritual type, too. What they call the 'charismatic' movement. Hmm. A old, old priest once told me I had the seeds of mysticism...

ahhh welll...

I'm afraid it has passed. As it says on my blog, a quote from Julian Barnes, "I don't believe in God but I miss Him." -It left a hole.

Just now I am taking up Tai Chi, as it offers a calming, centring philosophy for life as well as the exercise(!) and I think that's all I need, really, now. A centring, a being in the moment. Especially now that my mum is going downhill. I need to be able to make each day count.

If I were still religious I would just be so angry that someone had 'let' her get ill. As it is, I'm trying to find some good there.

Sorry to go on ;)

Helena said...

OOoo really annoying that the really preachy one is anonymous! Sorry, it just annoyed me that one. "Praying for your protection as you dabble in darkness and nonsense..." whoah! Not judgemental then!! SOrry I guess they do mean well, but I used to really hate that kind of thing, I found it so arrogant.

Catriona MacGregor said...

Bravo, Kirsty! Putting your beliefs and ideas out here in the 'verse is a very brave thing to do. I just keep quiet unless I know I'm around people who are tolerant and understand that a non-mainstream philosophy is just fine.
Namaste

greyparrot said...

A sect and odd gatherings...grow up! I could say the same about church-goers. Has anyone judged you on your belief in God? No they have not, therefore you should not judge others for their belief system,whatever that may be. Believing in something is a fundamental right of everyone.

Anonymous said...

Well, seeing as 'god' is whoever you decide it is (does being catholic or christian make other religions somehow wrong? other gods dont exist?)i think you are very brave to blog this. Thank you for sharing such a personal thing with us.

I have tried to read and folow 'the secret' but not managed to sustain it as yet. The feeling of following it is a good one, ad if you can carry you own life in this sort of way i sincerely applaud you kirsty!

I hope spiritualism helps you to find your inner peace.

xx

Sally said...

Hi Kirsty. I've been a spiritualist since the age of about 15. If you want details of a lovely spiritualist site/forum/community, pm me on uks or FB. :)

Andrea said...

Dear Kirsty - maybe there is a local church in your area (of ANY denomination) who is running an ALPHA course - I think you would really enjoy it, no pressure, it's fun and you can take it or leave it! Mary the Ribbon Girl