Ladies Camera Club

7 Jun 2010

Countryside delights

Last week, my friend Rosie took me to Rutland which I learned is the smallest county in the UK. Ooooh, I was really excited because I didn't even know it was. Our adventure only began after an abandoned Sex and the City Orange Wednesday failure (ie fully booked on the sweatiest night of the week in a steaming hot cinema). I hadn't even brought a DSLR and had to rely on my trusty pocket size G11 for these lovely pics of Rutland and Harringworth viaduct (the longest viaduct in the UK - oooh arches......swoon swoon)

Me taking a picture of me and my reflection in the car window - oooh nifty!


Today has been incredibly difficult with one thing or another resulting in frustration, tears and being over zealously inconsolable (quite the drama when there is only the dog in the room when it happened and he looked at my like I was snorting snuff). All rather silly in hindsight but nothing that a few facebook comments of support could sort out - thank you sweet friends. I think what hasn't helped my mood, further this evening, was watching a film based on Enid Blyton (played brilliantly by my heroine Helene Bonham Carter). I adored her books when I was a kid and I still collect them to this day (especially 1st editions with original jackets - my legacy to my Belle) but OMG, she was portrayed as a right cow to her kids. I know that is strong but as a fan of hers since I was 7 or 8, I feel like my loyalty has been violated. I hope that the characterization was exaggerated because to be honest, it made me feel a bit nauseous. Don't know why, dear diary, that I felt the need to write that but there you go. Random wittering number 1423 is written.

7 comments:

Bettyann said...

oh my dear friend..sometimes the producers feel that it would be too boring to protray a heroine as nice...take care..love thepictures..am finally home..miss my darling little girl..

Rachel said...

I thought the same when I saw it a while back

Sue said...

(((Kirsty))) Sending you hugs.

Love the photos.

Fiona said...

Fabby foto's Kirsty. I loved Enid Blyton's books too. Not seen the film, but did read in a newspaper article that she was a bit of a tartar.

x

SDCrafts said...

I used to be a children's book reviewer, Kirsty, and remember how I felt when I learned that EB really was horrid to her children - pop em out, let em be raised by nanny, I believe was the regime but don't quote me - and felt I could not share that with my readers in case their parents got upset.

I haven't seen the film - not sure if I want to. Maybe it was a catharsis for you at the end of a sad day. Might as well get it all out of your system in one go.

BTW I am essdeecee on Twitter so you can put 2 and 2 together...

Jen said...

OOh Rutland! When we were little, my brothers' class had to pick a county and do a project on it. He chose Rutland because it was the smallest county and he thought it would mean less work. LOL!! Loving the pics :)

Anonymous said...

That second photie looks like sausages hanging up outdoors sunbathing... how very posh....

Tricia x