Ladies Camera Club

16 Apr 2010

Girl in the park

Our council has revamped a lot of our parks in our town and Ellie spies a particular one every time we go to the post office. It poses a problem in some respects as kids her age (14 and 15 year olds) go there to "hang out" but what she wants to do is play. I agonise over how other kids perceive her because Ive heard them and seen them being mean in the past. But I do enjoy watching her select her course of action as she negotiates each activity without a care in the world. Im sure she doesn't give the damn that I do but its hard, I think.

Fortunately I knew some of the boys in the park as they attended the same primary as Ellie. I used to observe how they were with her then and I was pleasantly surprised to see how much they fawned over her last night. They budged over on the swings to let her by and they chatted with her asking how she was. Even the tough looking boys nudged each other when they were speaking out of line in earshot of me. I finally spoke to the boys and made small talk over how tall they had gotten and did they enjoy secondary school. Ellie swung over the top of the swing with her elbows resting on the seat and quite uninterested in what was going on around her.
I needn't have worried about going to this new park at all but I'd love for her to be able to go to the park on her own and perhaps if we do it enough, I could just watch from the car and let her do her own thing and find her own way to wait politely for her turn on a ride and deal with situations as they arise.

Here she is being her usual happy self - she makes me sigh a heave of love every time I witness her enjoying herself.
As we left to go home, I took this picture but due to the sun coming from behind a cloud so fast, my settings made this picture over exposed. But I still love it. Its kind of arty and you can see her cheek bone under her right left shade which makes her look 18 not 14!

On to today. Ive been playing with a bunch of AquaMarkers from Promarker by Letraset. I was fortunate to be sent the whole Promarker Line and Aquamarker line to test. Promarkers are big news in the UK craft market and supersede the quantity/quality stakes over Copic, which is was my initial venture into colouring. As my next CD is based on coluring images and papers, I thought it would be good to team up with Promarker to give crafters another excuse to flip off those big, fat chunky lids to set the colour free!!!
But the Aquamarkers are something else.

They are just so perfect for scrapbooking as they are of archival quality and wont fade as fast as with most marker pens. You can wash them down to graduate the colour to achieve stunning effects too. Im waiting for my canvas to be stretched a little before I show you today's project but I must simply covey how much of a grand job they have done. Graphic artists and cartoonists have used these pens forever and with them suddenly being catapulted into the craft market, I can see a million uses for them; if not becoming a staple tool in our craft boxes.

I must get back to finishing off my 3rd Cd which has taken almost 430 hours to create. Its all so new and completely different from the last. If you like colouring in, shading and faffing with your promarkers, you are going to love this one. Here is a sample of one of the boy lines from the CD for you to see. He comes coloured and ready for you to colour in your own style.


There will be lots of girls and boys with matching papers for you to enjoy. I can't tell you how much fun that I have had making them and equally I can't stress how much time I have to put into them (meaning late nights and sore hands!) - so forgive the dark circles next time you see me on air!

8 comments:

Sue said...

Love the photos. The last one is very arty:)

Debbie said...

He's lovely Kirsty, he looks like my little boy Oliver!
Debbie x

Debsg said...

He is fab. Love the pics of Ellie. I love reading your Tweets they often make me lol.

Colette said...

I empathise with you about Ellie, even though my daughter is only 4 but has special needs. The instinct to protect sometimes means we are the ones who hold our kids back I think. Even though the kids on our street love my daughter (if perhaps baby her a little) I am always on edge waiting for someone to comment on how she still wears nappies or that she looks a bit different. I won't pretend to understand your daughters condition but I do know the bitter sweet feeling of loving my daughter so much I can't breath and wanting to keep her close to me always but also knowing I have to help her by letting go a bit.

Colette said...

I empathise with you about Ellie, even though my daughter is only 4 but has special needs. The instinct to protect sometimes means we are the ones who hold our kids back I think. Even though the kids on our street love my daughter (if perhaps baby her a little) I am always on edge waiting for someone to comment on how she still wears nappies or that she looks a bit different. I won't pretend to understand your daughters condition but I do know the bitter sweet feeling of loving my daughter so much I can't breath and wanting to keep her close to me always but also knowing I have to help her by letting go a bit.

Anonymous said...

OOooh! this sounds a great CD for all of us that enjoy the`new` colouring craze ! Just recently discovered your blog and can`t believe how much you fit into each day ! Love all your work,
Sandra Bowen x

Anonymous said...

hi, glad you went to the park. At 14 your daughter will want to start to make her own way in the world soon enough and I am sure you will be as supportive as possible. Is there any reason why seh cannot manage to go to the park alone now? What would happen? Do you think she would be at risk in some way? If it is due to her disability meaning she cannot manage a certain task in her play is there any way you can look at getting her a carer so she is not always with you and gets some time to grow up in her own community with her own peers? Can't she talk and act like a 14 year old? With that I do not mean it in any offensive way but if she has some sort of learning disability [ I say this because I do not know] which makes her act in a much younger way young people today will accept her as she is and expect her to be different in actions and needs than they are. I would suggest getting some huge level of care package asap so you can sit back and allow your daughter to be a 14 year old. If she is at school presumably main stream then there is no reason why she cannot manage to associate with these lads. They are lads and they will mess around but more so if they think they have to respect her in some over cautious manner. Hormones and life expecations will soon alter it all and one day your daughter will have to be part of the world inperfections in it and all. We cannot all know what to say or do unless we know the situation. Let her go and let her grow up and soon enough she will thank you for it. good luck as it will be harder for you than her for a while.

Sam said...

love it that Ellie got to have a play at the park. kids grow up too early these days anyway. I can remember wanting to play at her age so why can't she. she looks like she had a great time which will also fill your heart with 'mushyness' too!!
take care y'all. xx