Ladies Camera Club

17 Feb 2010

New makes

Ive been poring over Cath Kidston's magazine like its going out of fashion, which we know will never, ever do that. I never knew she had one until I saw it in the CK boutique at Selfridges and then the cashier got me to sign up to a free subscription which I obliged (duh, no brainer, love).

There are a number of things on my wish list but I couldn't want it all, as I don't want my house to be too countryfied and twee. I love the floral look but I'm not hell bent on floralising my husbands masculinity. I'm more dottified and even he picks out things for me to look out in shops that are over run with polka dots. **sigh, I really do love the dots. And stripes for that matter**.

So anyway - the mag. There was a page that had swatches printed upon it and I thought.... hmmmmmmmm, how usable are they? Having recently been inspired by the one and only Ali E, I turned my hand at filling this frame following a similar fashion but using my spare wooden blind slats to furnish the difference. Plus a wee quote that I love, which if I am honest, is a charming mantra to myself. And whilst I was as it I made this too. I am in love with how "English Rose" it looks with a touch of typography to bring it up to date. The roses were made by myself using Muslin fabric, dipped in ink and the ribbon flower was a synche to make too (see a few posts down for the video tutorial of both these flower makes)
Im going to make a few more for the dining room (you know, the big saving project I am currently dreaming about!!) with other quotes of inspiration for bored dinner guests to look at whist I slave over a 3 courser in the kitchen. I do plan this room to be a dining room that feels cosy and not formal, feminine but not girly, shaker style-esque but not overly countrified.... does anyone have the faintest idea what Im talking about?!!!!!

Final diary entry notes for today....... Went to see Avatar 3D today. I know I am always last to do these things like read the latest best seller or go see the blockbusting movie of the moment. I think the reason why I do these things last is so that I don't get sucked into the hype. I prefer to let the heat lie down and see for myself without setting myself up for a "I hate that" fall. Fortch for me it was Orange Wednesday and as an Orange customer of 18 months, I used my freebie for the very first time. I'm not going to review it in frame by frame order but all I want to say was "wow, breathtakingly magic" I just loved it even though the first 30 minutes were marred with me wanting to vom as the glasses made me feel sick. Beautiful imagination whoever wrote that, just gorgeous. I want one of those jelly fish style floaty style creatures for me.

14 comments:

Darcy said...

Ooo oooo and omg oooooo I love the frame, I gave a gazillion of these White slats left over, why do they make blinds so long???

Sue Ramsay said...

Please stop making beautiful things you are making me very jealous woman!!!!!!!!!!xxxx (luvs ya really but shhhh)

Juliette said...

Is that canvas paper you used on the second project? I am desperate to buy that from somewhere, can you tell me where you got it?
And Like Darcy, I have slats kept for that crafty something and that crafty something has been born!
Love your blog.

kirsticoo said...

Oh my Kirsty - you have been a busy bee - I love both these projects... they are brilliant...xoxo

Anne said...

Another lover of the Cath Kidston magazine here. Lots of inspiration!

I want a floating jellyfish, too. i

Katty Bell said...

Ooohhh, if I was'nt sat down I'd be weak at the knees at such lush delights....beautiful.X

Kerry said...

Cath Kidston is a goddess in this house. Well me and my daughter have to have some girly things when we live with 4 males don't we?

I lust over her bags but unfortunately the ones I want are always a tad expensive for me.

Love what you have done with the frame.

Carmen said...

Another who loves the magazine here :P Did you know you can occasionally get free swatches of fabric from the website? You can indeedy. Love that frame.

Marlene said...

Count me in among those who have not seen Avatar yet. :)

Your projects are adorable. I LOVE LOVE LOVE those butterflies!!!

angie's blogspot said...

ooh I have that butterly punch, and I'm off to manchester in 2 weeks, lol, did you get my tweet link for the ATG tape refills?

cannycrafter said...

Another Cath Kidston fan here, as you know! I loved that frame too on Ali's blog! Love how you have achieved it! The canvas is wow too!

Jo E said...

Love your take on the Ali butterfly picture. Using your blind offcuts is genius!

Renee Lamb said...

I LOVE your beautiful butterfly box! And how creative to use the slats! Gorgeous pieces of art you made!

Linby said...

Kirsty - I have shamelessly cased the butterfly idea - hope you don't mind. Have credited you on my blog.
Linbyx