Ladies Camera Club

14 Jun 2009

Move Closer

I wrote a blog entry for Studio Calico a few weeks back and meant to transfer it here. As Marko is watching cricket as I type (yawn) and my parents have gone home (cry), Belle is chilling out in her room and the dog is fasto in Marks arms, I thought Id post it here for you all to see too.

I now only own two lenses. I believe these lenses are the best for my job and I don't want to buy anymore. I have a 24-70mm L glass which is perfect for weddings, group shots and angular wides when I feet arty farty. I also have a 50mm lens which is the best glass for portraits and crystal clear shots. Having a 24mm lens means I can get close but there are always huge distortions, epsesh when its on a full frame camera. Therefore any macro shots with absolute clarity is a definite non entity from this end. That was until I discovered these:Now Im a bit of a snob when it comes to these gimmicky attachments. I often think they will cheapen the whole point of quality photography but with a small investment of £15 I was willing to take a gamble. And holy crap, I am so glad I did. These attachments mean that I can get real close using a 50mm lens and have stunning results with no distortions! The attachments can be used individually or all stacked together in order you can get so close, you can almost eat what you are photographing. The only compromise is forfeiting an f-stop but hell - Im all for that!

Take these two examples here.
This lilac tree is the kind of picture your average garden loving photographer may take. Its pretty and it displays the lilac tree nicely. Using a 50mm lens at its best capacity would give you this shot; there is no way you could get any closer. But add the macro attachment onto your 50mm lens and all of a sudden you get to appreciate your flora and fauna from a bugs perspective.

The same goes for this beautiful peonie. Some people would be happy with a casual shot like this Use a 50mm lens to appreciate a lovely shot like this but get to grip with the attachments and you are then transported into a whole new world of close ups.I got these on ebay in the UK. They have attachments for lenses with various filter sizes. They attach like they would a filter (to the front of your lens) and will turn any lens (Id say 35mm focal distance and up for best shots) into a whole new world of curiosity. If you lens is a kit lens (usually 18-55) don't buy the attachments. They will be of no use to you as your lens goes quite close at 18mm. In my professional opinion Id plum for these attachments if you have either the 50mm, 85mm or the 70-300. Seriously.
So go to eBay, type in macro lens attachment and make sure you buy the right ones to fit your lens (use the filter size to gauge the attachment size).
Have fun x

10 comments:

Ruth said...

Thankyou so much for answering my eternal question of why my macro is s--t and doesn't work properly!!

Now I know I am off to e-bay for the solution!!

..Such a happy bunny now!!

Jozza said...

eeh I do love it when you talk photography, although most of it goes right over my little pea brained head. Fab pics. One day I shall have a posh camera and I will know how to use it! x

Tip Top said...

I have some of these for my bog standard film Canon SLR and yes they are really fab!!

Terrie B x said...

Absolutly `beautiful`...
I`m still working on Scott for me 50 Makro lens....so I can invest in those attatchments!!!!
Now I dont mind beans on toast for a while but I have to wait a bit cos I`m deffo not going on bread and water!!!!rofl...
Matty got his nw attatchments and he is thoroughly delighted!!!!`Thankyou`xxx
Adois Amigo :)
Lots of loves :) x

Angela W said...

Very cute! I wish I knew more about that stuff!

Houston said...

Ah yes, once again I am thinking I may need these.

bettyann said...

holy moly I want to take pics like that..you inspire me to get some classes..thank you!!

Jo Austin said...

yep.. agree with the filters, or a 50mm 1.8 macro.. hehe..

Bettythebaglady said...

Kirsty you inspire me too but I've got to thank you most for inspiring me with your nail adventures a while back. Mine are longer than they've been in years and not split either. Have been rubbing in cream morning and evening and using emery board instead of nibbling. Won't be scratching anybodies eyes out with them yet! Hugs BettyXXX

Anonymous said...

免費a片 a片 免費av 色情影片 情色 情色網 色情網站 色情 成人網成人圖片成人影片 18成人 av av女優avav女優情慾 走光 做愛 sex H漫 情色 情趣用品 情色 a片 a片 成人網站 成人影片 情趣用品 情趣用品アダルトアダルト アダルトサイト アダルトサイト 情趣用品
補正下着