Ladies Camera Club

23 Apr 2009

Patron Saint of England

Im starting to get really p***** off with the fact that St Georges Day (23rd April) is not overly celebrated in England.
I admit Im guilty that I don't do it publicly but then again nobody puts "anything" on (events wise) so I'd look a bit of a div standing in my street waving the St Georges cross.
**for my International readers, the Union Jack (the Uk flag) is made up of individual flags from England (like a red plus sign), Ireland (like a red cross sign), Scotland (blue flag,white cross) but not Wales (weird) and the red "St George's cross" is the Englandy bit**

St Patricks Day (he being the patron Saint of Ireland) is celebrated in full style - even in the USA, which puzzles me.
St Davids Day (he being the patron Saint of Wales) sees a throng of daffodils worn by the nationals.
The Scots get to have a fantastic Burns night on 25th Jan where haggis is served in abundance and drams of whiskey sloshed down with it. **edited to add - I forgot they even have St Andrews day so that's a double whammer!**
What the hell is wrong with us? Have we lost our passion? Does anyone really give a damn?

But oh! Come a football event and the flags are cracking outside our bedroom windows and on car aerials or hanging from our knickers (and then we lose!) And yet given a whole day to being English (and non footbally), nobody wants to know. Hell, its even a government holiday in Newfoundland in Canada - CANADA! What about us?

Going to sulk until someone does something magnificent about it. And its no good approaching our Prime Minister because he is Scottish... LOL!

**edited to add (again) Just been reading Wiki about it and apparently its customary to sing Jerusalem in every church and cathedral on this day. I love that Hymn, we had that at our wedding. Might go into town, stand on a bollard and sing it my bloody self!.........."And did those feet, in ancient times, walk upon England mountains green.....sob! Or even better I could blast this out from my iPod and get majorly patriotic. Will somebody please make this our national anthem?**

24 comments:

Rosie (Freycob) said...

Singing it with ya, singing it with ya chick!!!

English girl, born and bred, and bloody proud of it!

xx

Rosie (Freycob) said...

Have to add - that the footie fans have given our St. George's cross a meaning that I don't like though. It's about patriotism NOT football!

Bobs said...

You're right about us Scots celebrating Burns Night ..... but we don't really celebrate St Andrew's Day. So, we're not so different!

Kirsty Wiseman said...

bugger, I forgot you had St Andrews...sorry! But you still have Burns night and we have erm, what? NUFFIN!

beksynormz said...

I agree Kirsty, I used to be an Irish Dancer and even as a non Irish person I used to get so excited about St Pats, it was such a big event. We are not nearly patriotic enough, the last time I did anything for St Georges was when I was about 8 I wore my Brownie uniform to school!!!!! Beki x

Lythan said...

Happy St George's Day! I think it would be wonderful for the English to have a day to celebrate English culture as the Welsh do on St David's Day (we used to have a half day off school and everything)BUT there isn't anything Welsh on the Union Flag which makes me harrumph a bit! Or Irish either come to that. it is just St Andrews flag and St Georges put together. Still the Dragon is the most dramatic so Wales still wins :)

Jan Connair said...

I think we Americans celebrate St. Pat's because we are such a melting pot and have a lot of Irish descent over here (I'm a Connair). Of course, we don't know what we're doing and generally take it as an occasion to drink too much and eat corned beef and cabbage, which I understand isn't really even an Irish dish!

Watched the video of "The Land of Hope and Glory." Is that a traditional English song, then? I know I sound like a complete dunce, but over here, the second movement is the tune we play at commencement exercises, so every time I hear it, I think of people in caps and gowns getting diplomas!

weewiccababe said...

nah Gordon Brown's no longer Scottish - we've disowned him lol

weewiccababe said...

oh did you get my parcel today? sent it first class, but it maybe got caught up at border controls at Hadrians Wall lol

Kay said...

I've never understood the whole St Paddy thing here in the US either - try being Scottish in the US on that day. Most Americans don't think there is any difference and can't understand why I'm not decked out in shamrocks, drinking green beer. Then when I mention St Andrews Day I get a lot of blank stares...
Anyhoo, Happy St Georges Day to you - off you go to the mountains for some singing....

Vicki said...

Happy St George's Day!! I agree - we need to celebrate! I did sign a petition to make it a national holiday, but of course Mr Brown had the final say!! Killjoy! LOL!

Will be with you singing Jerusalem - love that!!

Houston said...

I want to see you sing it, have someone bring a camera! Oh and bonus points if you are dressed only in the flag;)

Max said...

Happy St. George's Day Kirsty ... but must confess I've never understood how someone can be the Patron Saint of a country they've never been to. He is also patron saint of Aragon, Catalonia, Georgia, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Germany and Greece; and of Moscow, Istanbul, Genoa and Venice (second to Saint Mark).
Busy guy!

Luv'n'Stuff
Max
xx

Jo said...

We had Jerusalem at our wedding too :) and Land of Hope and Glory is so emotional.

Kate said...

ok...I'll sing with you but you'll have to get me a song sheet. Don't know that words (or at least I don't remember them)

We don't celebrate holidays properly over here either. We suck!

Cath said...

I love that song too. Great choice of wedding song too (we had kilts and a bagpiper!)
Happy St george's Day!

Emma - A crazy crafter said...

You never fail to make me smile. I have left a little something on my blog just for you. Emma xx

Anonymous said...

Birmingham are having St. Georges day celebrations on Saturday in the city itself.

Terrie B x said...

`Happy Belated` St.Georges Day!!!
Happy Green Day...too..
Hope we wernt all surposed to run out naked and hug trees!!!rofl..
Have a loverly weekend:)♥

Anonymous said...

you do make me laugh out loud sometimes,Northern Chick-Have you been at the Burns Night whiskey? lol
Love to the curlygirl

Lulubelle x

Fred said...

I actually went to a St. George's party here in the United States a few years ago. It was a huge party thrown by a Brit living here. Everyone wore red. British flags were hanging outside. We had a blast!

Debo said...

Have you ever been in London on St Patricks' Day? Why can't we have the same level of celebration - AND PATRIOTISM! It seems that we are not allowed to make a big deal about being English (or British) for fear of offending our now very cross-cultural nation. This sort of reasoning does more to create friction than harmony. One of the things I liked about America was the level of patriotism that is evident. We should be proud to be British AND we should be able to show it!!!
(I'll get off my soapbox now...)

. said...

酒店上班
酒店打工
酒店兼差
酒店兼職
禮服店
酒店小姐
酒店經紀
假日打工
台北酒店經紀
童裝批發
童裝批發
酒店喝酒
暑假打工
寒假打工
酒店
酒店經紀人
酒店現領

Anonymous said...

免費a片 a片 免費av 色情影片 情色 情色網 色情網站 色情 成人網成人圖片成人影片 18成人 av av女優avav女優情慾 走光 做愛 sex H漫 情色 情趣用品 情色 a片 a片 成人網站 成人影片 情趣用品 情趣用品アダルトアダルト アダルトサイト アダルトサイト 情趣用品
補正下着