Ladies Camera Club

8 Jun 2006

European War on Jaffa Cakes

By Jove - the whole world is having a go!
I received the most lovliest RAK I have ever had the pleasure of opening yesterday. It was from Anita Mundt who is the bestest dutch scrapper and whose work appears in scrapbook answers no less and is part of a talented bunch of dutchiness HERE. In the parcel she sent me two chipboard coasters with pre cut papers plus embellishments using the newest range of K&Co's paper (which, I have to admit, are rather slurpable) and if that wasn't enough she sent me a packet of decoy jaffas. Now that's not to be read as ungrateful, you hear me? It's just that Mcvities are untouchable gods when it comes to these dreamy little mouthfuls of tangy, chocolatey yumminess, ok? BUT....It's WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! of me to assume this.
I opened the pack with absolute fear that inside I would find tulip/cheese/heineken flavoured biccies but instead I was met with a clear film wrapped TRAY (You get that Mcvities? - a tray!!) of 12 delicious looking bicko's. As I was taking this picture my mouth was dribbling so bad because the scent and tangy aroma of these dutch baked delights was killing me. No sooner had the snap been taken I had shoved 6 in my gob and I had died and gone to jaffa heaven. My only gripe, all you Dutchies, is this - can you not make your box a bit more fancy and rename it something like tangable scrumbos or cakey delights... help me with names here girls cos soft cake orange sounds a bit 1950's.
GEEK ALERT: Did you know that even though Jaffa Cakes are technically biscuits, they have to be called cakes for some random taxation law?. That, my dear friends, is a fact. I will ring Downing Street this instant and demand to know why. Cos it aint as if Tony and Gordon have anything better to do, is it?
Im sat here in my wee office in what feels like the warmest june on record. Its just best feeling - all summery and hyper and of course Im crafting! Dies to Die for is definately for sale and I have a customer. With more focus on freelancing and photography I just cannot nurture my wee business like I could before. It needs to go to someone who is comitted to keeping up with new stuff. I will truly miss it but its something to write on my tomb stone and Im proud of it. So thats me dudes. Nothing fabbo to report other than Ive got two sessions booked already, from my new webbo site HERE... one of which is a crumpled newborn who is going to get my best attention tomorrow night. I cannot wait.

18 comments:

bookit said...

you're very welcome girly!!! is it me (it's been so long since i tasted the mcVities ones) or are the Dutch ones a little more tangy??!!
Have fun with the K&Co papers. LOVE the new website..gonna have to pick your brains about that :) i'm booked in to the photography school over summer!
anita
x

Anonymous said...

Kirky you should be a happy chappie that jaffos are cakes, it means NO VAT!!! Apparently cakes are classed as an essential!!!
It was decided they were cakes as when they go stale they go hard, like cakes, not soft like biscuits.
And therin ends todays lecture. Am off to spot some trains now xx

Anonymous said...

Ooops, the geek was me, so over excited by the train spotting I forgot to sign off!

Charlotty x

Hebe said...

Came to post comment about jaffa cakes going hard etc and therefore being cakes but I've been pipped to the post. The bit I find hard to understand though is why cakes are considered an essential and have no VAT whereas biscuits are luxuries and have VAT on them.

Chrissie said...

FAB website...love it!!! And *Chrissie whispers and gets ready to run* I. Don't. Like. Jaffa Cakes. Or any fruity substances being mixed with choclate. Bleuch!

*Chrissie runs really really fast to avoid Kirsty's displeasure... which is a bit scary cos things start wobbling...*

Chrissie said...

chocolate I mean (hate that I can't edit on these comments!!)

Sarah said...

Just absolutely LOVE the website - can't wait to book you..........now to think of what we NEED piccies of!!

Sarah xx

Scrappy Nina said...

Oh Yes - I knew all that VAT thing!! Used to be that cake wasn't a luxury - men's razors werent't a luxury - but Tampax were a fully VATed luxury of decadent proportions!! In 2000 the VAT was slashed to 5% instead of 17.5% - so now girls - those monthly essentials are just a little luxury - whereas - as we all know - jaffa cakes are essential!!!

Scrappy Nina said...

Oh yes - and I just can't wait for our photo sesh with you - that there website is proper lush!!

Pam said...

great website Kirsty- best wishes for a successful business.

TopCat76 said...

what I'd love to know is are you a purist when it comes to Jaffa Cakes, have you dared to try the new McVs versions?? I was scpetical at first but have to admit the blackcurrant and lemon & lime ones are rather tasty!
(Tracey shaped dust cloud left behind as I run after Chrissie!!)

Jen said...

Well, God bless Anita ;) Hey, you know that cakes go hard when stale and biscuits go soft? Well Jaffas go hard, ergo..... Love ya!

Scrappy Nina said...

Hebe - the "Why are cakes not a luxury but biscuits are?" question!! According to dh - who has much more of a memory than me (we obviously spent a lot of time talking about it as students!!) Biscuits generally are not considered a luxury and are VAT free!! Chocolate covered biscuits are considered a luxury and are at full VAT - hence why your chocolate Hob Nobs are so much more expensive than rich teas!! Apparently - McVites made a huge jaffa cake to make their point that they should be VAT free and said "LOOK!! CAKE!!" You can read all about it here http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/jaffajudgement/ right at the bottom!!

amberjane said...

I have to say only you could have a post about jaffa's that is so entertaining :D Luv ya missus !!

Jen said...

PS When I go back to France I'm getting you a pack of the pear-flavoured Pim's. Yummmmeeeeeeee!

Cath said...

WOW! you lucky ducky you I LOVE Jaffa cakes :D What a lovely pressy to receive :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money