Ladies Camera Club

16 Apr 2006

I did not know the Bronx was in LA

Challenge Update - please see 23d march for updates and links to artwork

Other Stuff
The bronx in New York has moved so conveniently to LA just as I stay. I am not kidding you - I AM IN THE BRONX. After teaching at the most amazing scrap venue in the world... Sweetpeas (more about that later) where mark came to meet me, we ventured downtown LA. When I booked my hotel online and bearing in mind I have never been here before I pretty much thought that a downtown location would be cool. Then I saw a post by Marja the other day who mentioned it was not a good idea. These things are best left to find out for oneself I thought (she was right - but let me explain. Booking downtown LA from the UK is like a person from the US booking Brixton and not knowing the area). We pitched up into a ghetto-like existence and I was worried. Mark was not a happy bunny either. The hotel itself is really nice - and Im not kidding. The lobby is impressive and the room is pretty good and clean.

Anyway, I went to get a couple of drinks and nibblies from two stores down and was met with tramps, hoodies and vagrants. How I can see you all smile with smugness - you rotters! Anyway, Mark and I went to Hollywood to check out the walk of fame, the Chinese theate and such like and check out some heart attack inducing cuisine. The food portions were immense and I felt dreadful leavng a chunk of food on my plate. We had a really good night out.

On the way back mark kept saying that I shouldn't really stay but a I was with him and it was late we should just sleep here anyay. I type from this room and we are about to vacate and head for a marine hotel in Santa Monica. Drama Drama Drama. But scrappable and thats what I like!

Oh well, at least the teaching at Sweetpeas was a success. What an mzing store. I want to be that store - its so quaint and full of yummo things and Im coming back in July to teach again. I taught my wee envelope book which went down a bomb. I met both Erin (so cool!) and Jeannine (so lovely) and the students Hope, Sabrina, Shelley, Alice and Kelly. The class was not booked to capacity as the locals tend to go away for their spring break but it was cosy and it was good fun with the lanuguage barrier!!! Plus I got to go shopping at the end and touch papers and lick ribbons and stroke other yumable scrumables.

Anyway I need to go and check out of this lovely hotel in poo poo location and head for Santa Monica. Oh the joys of travel my darlings. At least I will be safer and near the ocean of which I will be dipping my toe into today.

See y'all t'mara xx

Edited to add - this was meant to go on the blog yesterday but I saved it a draft - poeey! I am at my new hotel and its paradise. Its in Marina del Rey just shy of Venice and to the slight south of Santa Monica. I have this huge whopping bed to myself and its really hot here - I got a tan... yippy skippy. Mark and I went out for sea food last night and it just happened to be an "all you can eat buffet" for $26. We completely pigged out on food so exquisite I wanted to cry. And I had complimentry Bucks Fizz throughout the meal - I was somewhat sozzled. After dinner we went to the pier head at sunset. I am not kidding you but Mark has taken over the photography passion in our house and he got some great pics of me dippling me tootsies in the pacific with the sun setting. I swear I am going to have the best travel journal in the world. But he had to leave at 7.30 and I was really upset. We had had just a brilliant 48 hours. I went to bed at 8.30pm and slept through til 8.30am (must have been the ocean air that knocked me for 6). I have come into Santa Monica to go shopping and sight seeing in this blistering heat. I'll report back later my little love buckets xx

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are somewhere a bit safer. Pleased your class went well

Enjoy hun

Love

Ali

Anonymous said...

So glad you are having a good time hun! take care, miss you!

Love Sue x

Galaxy Girl said...

Yep, still a really fetching shade of green, but glad you are having a nice time.

Kym

Anonymous said...

Oh Kirsty, you should've called me or em'd me for a hotel recommendation. We have lots of options...and so sorry to hear the hostels weren't so hot. I've just come back with lots of meds from my dr. as I've come down with a raging sinus infection and cough, but must go back to work tomorrow (Tues.). My 15 beautiful and adorable kindergartners of course are the breeders and harborers of such germs!

Hopefully today's sunny weather is brightening your days.

Colleen xo

Anonymous said...

Kirsty. I managed to read it the day before, but could'nt work out why it had'nt changed yesterday, thought I was dreaming.

Have fun

Lydia

Jen said...

Ooh you globetrotter you! Sounds absolutely divine (well, apart from the Bronx LOL). Enjoy :)

Marja said...

Yay! Am so glad to read you are in Marina del Rey rather than the ghetto! Bringing back fond memories of my years in LA... sigh. I wish I still lived out there instead of London. What was I thinking when I moved here?!!? Glad you're having a fab time!

Caroline said...

You sound like you're having fun, hope you're not missing us too much!!

Sue said...

Wow just WOW ..sigh
Soojay xx

Jo(lene) said...

Hello angel-cakes! You are having such an fabbo experience, darl - hope you're still enjoying it. I really can't wait to see all of your piccies :) xx

lorraine said...

hmmmmm......i think it sounds real boring. Bet you cant wait to get home to some real grey, drizzly days. I am not jealous, I am NOT jealous, I AM NOT JEALOUS :D

domestic goddess said...

hi babes
so good to tAlk on the phone, keep enjoying yourself, see you friday
big hugs

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money